Monday, August 08, 2005

Leaf update

Okay, this is going to be my last post for a while, at least a day. Unfortunately, I have a very busy schedule ahead of me. Couple things:

1.) In my haste to write posts, a few things might have come out incorrectly - for instance, I referenced Allison and Sundin playing the same line. I had kind of a brain crap there, I meant O'Neill would be on the first line, as a drop-in replacement for Roberts. Allison will be the #2 centre. I haven't noticed anything else I might have made a typo with, but any obvious errors like that one are because I was in a hurry to put up an entry.

2.) Back to Lindros, and I'm tired about talking about him, he's on hold for now, and probably will never make the club. Like I said before, he's been ready for a week to make his mark on a contract, but the Leafs don't want him if there are better options. Fergie is looking to see what else is available, and if the team comes up dry, they'll be on the horn with Lindros. But understand that the team is not excited about landing his services. He's considered very high risk and a primma donna besides. Also, he doesn't play like he used to.

3.) The Leafs are continuing to explore trades, and the teams mentioned include Buffalo, Washington, and a couple others - the mission is to unload contracts, get cheaper bodies back that are nonetheless talented and keep the team afloat. Tall order, I know. That's why so little has happened so far, other GM's have little interest in giving away premium young guys. But the urgency that swept the league last week is gone, there remain only a few significant free agents left, and the main avenue for improvement is now trades.

Sorry I don't have any more to report just now, but with so many scenarios being bandied about, it's hard to nail down names and teams. One thing I can confirm is the Leafs are not in any discussions to land grade-A talent like Thornton, LeCavalier, or even guys like Zetterberg. Nonsense, pie-in-the-sky hopes of the street-level Leaf fan. The Leafs have nothing to offer for such talent, and other teams don't want it anyway. Trades currently under exploration include bit parts, role-players, and future prospects.

Future updates to follow as is possible...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home