Monday, August 08, 2005

And...the big reveal

At this moment, 6,200 people have checked out this blog looking for the latest Leaf rumours.

This is many more people than I imagined. I initially started the blog on Sunday, after trying and failing to find out some credible information about the Leafs myself.

Guys - I'm not a Leaf insider. I don't work for MLSE (I wish!) and don't talk to NHL'ers on a daily basis. (for the guy who asked about getting a job there - sorry for the lengthy "explanation" about how I got hired there, I felt like a shitheel typing that out. I have no clue how you could get a job there)

Everything you read on this site, I pulled out of my own ass. I threw in a couple figures here and there (like contract offers made, etc.) that were already reported in the media to make the information seem more credible, and then began typing up stories regarding players I would like to see join the team, or posting trade ideas that seemed to make sense, anything that seemed more plausible than, "The Leafs are signing Scott Neidermayer!"

Anything I suggested Ferguson was up to was based on my own observations of what was going on with the club, conclusions anyone could have come to. As far as I know, nothing I wrote save what was reported already by the media actually happened, or is about to happen. I was basically an excited fan typing up pie-in-the-sky trade rumours that I would like to see effected by the Leafs.

One thing I "think" I can take credit for - I thought, "gee, it would be nice if Scott Stevens came to the Leafs?" so I wrote the fake rumour about him getting an offer. Shortly after that, I noticed that rumour was all over the hockey boards, and was even mentioned today in the Toronto Sun. Geez, gimme a break, Stevens? It might have been just a coincidence, but I didn't see that rumour anywhere else before I posted it. I hope Sun reporters don't rely on internet fan boards for their hot rumours, but you never know with those guys.

I wrote up the blog basically as an experiment to see what people would be desperate enough to believe, because I got pissed off at seeing that Eklund guy post a dozen rumours on his site a day and have only the most obvious ones actually come through. Either that, or a player gets linked to 10 teams, and then goes to one, and then Eklund gets lucky and takes credit for the information.

It turns out that people are willing to believe a lot of things.

I got lucky myself - seeing how the Penguins were restocking their roster, I took a gamble and suggested Palffy was going to the team before anybody knew anything - and he did! I'm sure that revelation added to the credibility of this blog and attracted even more of an audience.

Take this as an object lesson, guys. Don't believe anything you read on the internet unless it comes from a real source. I had a kick out of typing up stories and seeing the results of the work appear on various fan boards. But it was also a little scary seeing how quickly people were willing to believe any rumour I posted. Klee for Biron? Belfour to Tampa? In our wildest dreams, maybe.

Anyway, I'm not saying here, "hey, you buncha SUCKERS!", nothing like that. I was an angry fan like you three days ago, tired of wondering what was happening in the Leaf organization, and I decided to find out how easy it would be for some average guy to pretend he's an insider and lead people along. I think a couple of days of this is quite long enough.

From now on, anytime somebody tells you Eklund has a hot rumour or that CODE has the latest on who's coming to the Leafs, just remember how airtight an NHL organization really is. Unless it's reported by a reliable source to an actual reporter in the media, my gut says that 99% of it is ripe old cow manure, particularly if it's reported on the internet first. I conclude with the following points:

1.) I'm certain that Eklund has no actual insider contacts. How can you believe in a guy who actually misspells "Domi" on his site? Media contacts, yes. Hockey guys - no.

2.) Speaking of Domi, stick a fork in him. He's THROUGH.

3.) I'm sorry, very sorry, for any false excitement I may have caused. I never would have done it had I realized so many people would start relying on the information, so that's why I'm stopping right now. All I wanted was the best for the Leafs, really, and also for people to stop and think a bit about John Ferguson, because I felt he was being mercilessly slammed in all media for the Leafs' recent inactivity. Ferguson really is following a plan, even if you guys don't know about. I got some satisfaction reading boards posts by fans "realizing" that Ferguson has a strategy after seeing his "activities" revealed here on this blog. Even if what I wrote wasn't true, of course he's got an action plan, guys - do you think he's up there at the ACC with his thumb up his ass? He's handcuffed by the stupid contracts Quinn handed out (except Belfour's), and he doesn't have much room to move, but yeah, he's got a plan. He's just not going to tell us about it.

In good faith,

-The Wannabe Hockey Insider

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Hi, a strong view by your blog, and I disagree, Eklund does have sources, but instead of arguing I'm going to take Bob McKenzie's quote instead.

"I have said it before, I will say it again...when it comes to Eklund, do not throw the baby out with the bath water. Which is to suggest he sometimes has very good information that no one else has. Which is to suggest he sometimes has totally bogus information that has not an ounce of truth to it. He puts up stuff unfiltered, whatever he hears, he posts. If he hears something, he puts it up, and there is clearly a lack of accountability and he's the first to tell you that...it's a rumour site, it's a blog.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't talk to some people in high places because I know for a fact he does. I also know for a fact that a lot of people in hockey, in all positions in the NHL, check him out every day. The challenge is figuring out what's totally bogus and what's legit. You guys are at a disadvantage because you can't do that directly. I can and I can tell you there has been information posted there that no one else had that was indeed factual. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think some NHL players don't burn up his e-mail line."

6:55 PM  
Blogger Wardo said...

Thanks for all comments guys, you're entitled to them, good or bad.

Like I mentioned above, I mostly gave up because I felt guilty leading on other Leaf fans. But it was probably only a matter of time before a techie kind of guy exposed me anyway.

Also, it's hard coming up with fresh rumours for thirsty Leaf fans. I admit I wasn't up to the demand.

-A

7:15 PM  
Blogger Nober said...

If I ever saw you in a bar... I'd buy you a beer, dude.. well done.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well one good thing came of your site. I started my own website for fun, just to see how it was done. Basically it's about my dog, and is pretty lame, but it amused me for an evening. Let me know what you think: http://mrbinks.blogspot.com
Thanks for bringing the anticipation to Leaf fans everywhere. When there isn't any action going on (signings), it's all we have.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home